A big thanks to all of you who have donated quilts, applied binding, and quilted donated tops!
We always have kits ready to pick up at the general meetings on the 3rd Thursday of each month. Pattern, fabric, and sometimes pre-cut pieces are ready for you!
The Quilts for Kids Project Team: Monica Clements – Chair, Phyllis Kizer, Jan Lundine, Becky Kinzer
Special Note: We are in short supply of quilts for older kids. Please consider making a quilt to donate using fabric that will appeal to older kids or pick up a packet at the Quilts For Kids Table at any general BBQ meeting.
Be Sure to Check Out Photos of Donated Quilts at the Bottom of this Page
The Baby Quilt Project first started as part of “Make a Difference Day” by making twin-size quilts for the Rescue Mission. The following year, the Guild began making Baby Quilts and Small Bereavement Quilts for the neo-natal intensive care unit at St. Luke’s Boise Hospital. From there, the project expanded with the generosity of our members.
The Baby Quilt Project was changed to Quilts for Kids in 2016 since quilts are provided to children of all ages.
Each year from August to the following June, our members complete between 200-250 quilts to donate to our local hospitals. These “comfort” quilts are given to newborns, bereaved parents, toddlers and older children seen in the delivery and emergency rooms of our local hospitals.
Baby and youth Quilts are distributed between St. Luke’s, Boise; St. Luke’s, Meridian; St. Alphonsus, Boise; St. Alphonsus, Nampa; West Valley Medical Center, Caldwell; and Walter Knox Hospital, Emmett.
The efforts of our Guild Members have touched many lives with their beautiful quilts, and have made a difference. Non-members are welcome to participate in the project. All help and all donations are very much appreciated.
Please help by contributing to this valuable mission:
Basic Guidelines for Kids/Baby Quilts:
- Dimensions of quilts may vary in size but the most common sizes requested are: Small (36″ x 36″) Medium (40″ x 54″) Large (50″ x 72″). Teenagers are also happy to receive larger quilts of approximately 60″ x 90″. There is also a periodic need for bereavement quilts of 24″ x 24″.
- Fabrics should be soft and washable: cotton, flannel, and fleece (for backing only).
- Prints, solids, novelty panels in pastel and bright colors. Please keep in mind these quilts are for children up to age 18 when making fabric choices.
- Preference is that quilts are quilted by hand or machine rather than tied. Please do not quilt with monofilament thread.
- Batting may be cotton, poly, or any blend.
If you have questions about the BBQ Quilts for Kids project, please contact: Monica Clements at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here are a few baby quilts that have been donated. Click on Photo to Enlarge (click anywhere away from photo to go back):